Thursday, July 19, 2012

Seany took me to the Driving Range...

...and I pegged a little asian boy in the ankle.

But, we also had tons of fun.  I struggled a little at the beginning, but with Sean's help by the end I was hitting them pretty well and pretty far.  I am definitely not a pro by any means, but there was some major improvement.


I was super impressed at how far Sean could hit the ball, it was mind blowing really.  There I was hitting about 50 yards out, and Sean was nailing his over 250 yards!!



So, the story about hitting the kid at the driving range.  First off, I want to say that it was definitely not my fault, and had nothing to do with me being bad at hitting balls.

Sean, and I were hitting balls and minding our own business.  Every 3 or four tee off spots there was a super tall mesh fence and Sean and I were the only ones in our little area.  There was a group of people that were taking lessons and they all broke out to start practicing and hitting.  For whatever reason, there was a group of about 3 guys who were all standing about 5 feet up from the tee of spot.  they were out in the longer grass and I guess they were practicing hitting out of the grass.  Since all 3 of them were farther up, it was fine and there was no risk of getting hit from someone teeing off behind you farther back.

So, this youngish Asian boy decided he wants to practice hitting out of the grass too.  So he comes over to the little area where Sean and I are teeing off.  He was hitting from the last spot before the fence.  He decides it's ok for him to stand about 5 feet out like the other 3 guys were doing on the other side of the fence.  I was getting nervous.  He wasn't that far out, but Sean was hitting by him and I was scared he was going to peg him with a ball.  Sean said not to worry, and that even though he was out in the grass he wasn't out far enough and we would have to really shank a ball hard right if we were going to hit him.

Then things got more scary.  The guy would miss-hit the ball and it would roll a few feet and he would scoot up and re hit the ball from where it landed.  This happened over and over again because he was not very good.  Pretty soon he was about 20 or 30 feet out in front of where you are supposed to tee off, and I was getting worried.  He was definitely in range for one of us to hit him.

This was where he originally started out, and moved up probably another twenty feet
before he found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.


Sure enough, I shanked one off to the right a little and that ball nailed him right in the ankle.  He yelped and started hopping on his left leg and grabbed his ankle.  He then turned around and shot this dirty look at us.  I yelled out "Sorry," but in my head I was thinking that he had it coming.  I have no clue what he thought was going to happen when he was standing so far out and we are hitting balls right behind him.  Needless to say he left and never came back by us to hit balls.

Sean likes to compare this to walking out on a shooting range while people are firing guns.  So crazy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment