Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fore! and Cory's Gold Glove

So yesterday my good friend Joseph Naylor and I headed to the golf course at the Cascade Center to play nine holes.  I haven't played in a long while, and Joseph is taking a beginner class at BYU.  He is required to play 27 holes during the term, and I volunteered to go with him.  It was a TON of fun.  We went in the middle of the day in 102 degree heat, but that didn't deter us.  It was fun for me to be back out playing the links.  I played on my high school's golf team for a year (not as prestigious as you might think...there were no try-outs and everybody who signed up got on the team.) and I have a lot of memories going with my grandpa while I was a teenager.  


Here is Joseph around the sixth hole I think.  He actually did really well for his first official round of golf while taking the class.  We both were ridiculously over-par, but we hit some great shots.  If only our great shots came more frequently than once every ten tries.  I brought my grandpa's straw hat for Joseph to wear, and I think it may have given him special powers.


Like I said, it was over 100 degrees, so we decided to split the cost of a cart.  It was probably the greatest decision of my week.  I am not sure if we would have made it walking.  Interestingly enough, there was a young kid playing behind us that was walking and carrying his clubs the whole time.  We were convinced that his bag was heavier than him, and he was sweating profusely.  He was also the next Tiger Woods, and eventually we just told him to play through because he was actually finishing the holes in a respectable number of strokes.


Here I am at the same hole, and below is Joseph about to sink his final put on the ninth hole.  Overall we had a great time, and it made me feel like I want to get better at golf.  Also, I'm not really feeling how much money it will probably take to do that, so maybe that will be a long term goal that I will make headway on a little further down the road.


Last night we also had another co-ed softball game, and the game ball definitely went to Cory.  Ok, so we don't give out game balls and we didn't even win, but that is beside the point.  Cory started the night at catcher and was doing an awesome job, and then she moved to second base.  I particularly enjoyed this because I was playing short stop so I got to talk to her more due to our close proximity.  While at second, she made some amazing plays.  She caught her first fly ball for an out, and the look on her face immediately after was priceless.  She was so excited, and the team was, too.  That pretty much gave her all the confidence she needed and a couple of plays later she actually caught another one while falling forward to her knees!  It was beautiful.  She did a great job and is really starting to get the hang of softball.

No comments:

Post a Comment