Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Day


Happy Birthday America!!!  Today Cory and I celebrated our first 4th of July together as a married couple.  Last year was pretty eventful up in Powell with my family, but this year we stayed home in Provo and enjoyed the festivities with our family (Anna) and friends here.  Provo has a huge parade down University and luckily my old roommates live on University so we watched the whole thing on their front lawn.  We had an American flag and I waved Old Glory as all the veterans passed by.  It was a fun morning. Joseph and Abbey made red and blue pancakes which we all enjoyed as we heard the bands march by, and watched the pageant girls wave so elegantly at us.  It was the first time I had ever seen the parade in my time here at BYU.  I was surprised at how may people were there.  The streets were packed!  Here we are on their porch with our Anna and friends.


After the parade I had to go to work for a few hours...you know...no holidays for the missionaries.  But when I got home, Cory and I planned on watching the Stadium of Fire fireworks from afar.  So we headed to the field in front of the temple just east of the stadium and waited.  We didn't actually know what time they started so it was funny that every time fireworks went off in the general vicinity (which was about every 2 minutes) we wondered "Is it starting?"  We finally had to stop and tell ourselves that it would probably be so obvious when they actually did start, and it was.  The real show's fireworks were ten times the size of all the other ones we had questioned.  We enjoyed the show and then spent a good forty minutes fighting the traffic to get back home.  Totally worth it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment