Sunday, July 29, 2012

City Creek Saturday Night

So on a whim tonight we decided to have a date night in downtown Salt Lake.  We hadn't been yet to the new City Creek shopping center and we thought that would be a good place to spend the evening.

Ok, that place is pretty awesome!  We weren't quite sure what to expect, but whatever expectations existed were satisfied and then some!  When we first got there we literally stood up on the balcony for a few minutes just taking it all in.  We knew that the big feature was a retractable glass roof, which we could not identify for the life of us.  After a good search we realized we were looking in the wrong place, because there are two outdoor courtyards and then two indoor areas with the retractable roofs.  

So City Creek is located right across the street from Temple Square and one of its purposes is to beautify downtown around temple square to keep it looking nice.  So not only is it a huge new shopping mall, but a lot of the businesses are a little higher end than most malls.  The first three shops we walked by were Tiffany & Co., Rolex, and Porsche Design Clothiers.  As we walked by Cory questioned whether we were actually even allowed to go in, because they all had security guards at the doors, and the scowls on the employees faces told us they only wanted to deal with serious customers.  We were content window shopping.

However, there were some "stores of the people" sprinkled around that were a little more welcoming.  As soon as we saw people coming towards us with Disney Store bags we followed the trail and felt confident enough to cross the threshold and browse a little.

Behind me here you can see the wall of the Disney Store with Mickey and Minnie  hanging off.
We are up on a bridge on the second floor of one of the outdoor plazas.

So in the past three days Cory has started to familiarize herself with Instagram.  I am still not sure exactly how it works, but I guess all the kids use it these days.  It seems to mostly just kind of put different effects on the pictures you take, but she has been excited about it, and I do admit that the pictures do seem to have a nice finish, especially for photos taken on a phone.

We headed to the food court and looked at all the places.  They have a Red Iguana fast food style there which was interesting, and also a Greek fast food place with gyros, which also sounded good.  I was especially tempted by the "Wasatch Gyro" complete with grilled onion and Honey BBQ sauce.  Anyway, we settled for Chick-fil-A after having been told by Joseph that anytime you say "thank-you" there they are trained to say "My pleasure."  So we decided to put them to the test.  Sure enough the three times I said thanks, they stuck to their training.  Cory could NOT handle it.  She started to laugh after the first time and actually had to walk away while I finished expressing how grateful we were. 

From there we headed to Farr's for some FROzen YOgurt...I have never really said "fro-yo" and I am not sure I am ready to start now.  What was cool was that they had Dole Whip there, which is the pineapple ice cream we had on our honeymoon in Hawaii.  We both got some and Cory got some strawberry "yo" (did I use that right?) while I got some tasty tangy lime sherbet.  Here is Cory reminiscing about our Hawaii days:


After we finished our tasty treat we walked across the way to Temple Square where some nice woman was kind enough to take our picture before it became too dark for our camera phone to capture the moment.  I always forget how big and majestic the Salt Lake temple looks in person.  It was perfect weather and we enjoyed the walk.


I am glad to have a wife that will explore new places with me and keep taking Instagram pictures of me until I finally feel like I don't look as awkward as I do in the rest of the pictures.  She is a trooper!

2 comments: