Thursday, April 14, 2016

#KobesLastGame

Listen, Cory laughed at me when I said I was going to post about this.  After her birthday weekend, she and Emmy headed up to Idaho to visit her mom, which left me for a few days to live the bachelor life.  By far the highlight of the time spent alone was watching the last Laker game of the season, which also happened to be the last game of Kobe Bryant's career.  

Growing up in Southern California, I loved USC football, the Anaheim Angels, and the Lakers.  The Kobe-Shaq era was just awesome for a 10 year old.  Anyway, the Lakers have been absolutely terrible the last couple of years, so I wasn't expecting much in this game.  They have the second worst record in the league and Kobe seemed like a shell of himself after twenty years of playing in the NBA.

I live tweeted the entire game, and fielded numerous text messages from my dad and other friends who know I am a Laker fan.  I texted someone before the game that I hoped he had a crazy game and shot it 40 times.  My twitter feed (@seangilmore24) has complete documentation of my emotions during the game, and I won't subject you to it here, but let's just say that Kobe's final performance was better than I could have ever imagined.  I said I wanted him to shoot 40 times as a joke.  He shot it 50 times.  He scored 60 points!  In the last minute of the game they took the lead over the Utah Jazz and Kobe hit the game winner!  You could not have written a better final performance.  

I was on an adrenaline high for a while after the game.  It will always be one of my favorite sports memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment