Thursday, July 4, 2013

Stadium of Fire

To end our 4th of July festivities, Cory and I accompanied our good friends, Elder and Emma Sabey, to the Stadium of Fire show at Lavell Edwards Stadium.  Kelly Clarkson was the headlining act, and Carly Rae Jepson opened up for her.  Grammy award winner Patti Austin was the MC for the night.  It was a pretty cool show that all started with...


Note to self:  I need to have better self awareness while recording videos.  It was loud in the stadium so I am raising my voice, and the sound is going directly into the camera's microphone.  How embarrassing.  Anyway, the show started with some Cirque du Soleil that was pretty impressive.  We enjoyed being with Tyler and Emma too because Tyler was very vocal about how he felt during the show.  He kept making dramatic comments about how great the show was that kept us laughing.  At one point he calmly said, "This transcends humanity..."  I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing.  He was kind of right though.  Cirque du Soleil transcends humanity.  

Next on the program was Carly Rae Jepson, famous for her song, "Call Me Maybe".  I don't want to discriminate, but she is Canadian...singing at a 4th of July concert...badly.  She started her routine with, "I'm a Canadian girl, but I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!"  I think she was expecting people to react or something, but nobody did anything.  No cheers, no clapping, no noise.  It was sort of comical.  Also she struggled to command the crowd.  Carly Rae forgot to bring it to Stadium of Fire.  She must have left it in Canada.  She sang 4 or 5 songs, and everybody only knew one.  Poor girl.  

After that the show started to pick up as we saw a video presentation about the Wounded Warrior project.  It was cool, and Patti Austin brought the house down singing, "Lean on Me".  She achieved Diva status in my heart because of that performance.  It was powerful.  It even got everyone to start swaying their cell phones above their heads.


After Patti, Kelly Clarkson finally came out and I have to admit that it was a pretty sweet performance.  I learned a couple of things: 1) Kelly Clarkson has way more hit songs than I realized.  She sang about 12 songs, and I didn't know she sang 8 of them, but I knew them all.  2)  Mormons have zero shame when it comes to taking their small children to anything and everything they attend.  I was flabbergasted (yes, that word was the only one that could properly convey my feeling) at how many INFANTS I saw at this thing.  If you are under the age of 1 you have no business being at a Kelly Clarkson concert.  3)  There are little girls that weren't even born when some of Kelly's songs came out, and yet they still know every word. 

  

The night ended with some awesome fireworks.  It was a really fun experience that I'm glad we got to do at least once in our time here in Provo.


God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment