Sunday, July 28, 2013

Dos Dozen Donut Challenge

As the summer keeps moving along, the reality that school is about to start and friends are leaving Provo is slowly starting to creep into my thoughts.  I try to take advantage of every chance I get to do something memorable with my buddies, even when that something is a little ridiculous.  I don't remember what specific day this happened on, but Joseph, Kyle, and I found ourselves at Krispy Kreme because of some promotion they were doing.  If you bought a dozen donuts, the next dozen was only like 75 cents.  I wasn't planning on getting any (just mooching off of Joseph and Kyle's 4 dozen) but in line our conversation turned to us questioning how many hot glazed donuts we could eat in one sitting.  I mentioned that I thought I could easily eat one dozen without a problem.  Joseph upped the number to two dozen, and thus a new eating challenge was born!  


Each of us bought two dozen and prepared mentally for the task at hand.  Joseph appropriately but unknowingly wore his "Every Day is Game Day" shirt, and this challenge was an affirmation of that lifestyle.  At any point in time you have to be ready to perform.  The ironic thing about this, too, is that Joseph has a history of folding under the pressure during eating challenges.  When my roommates and I did the Sensuous Sandwich eating challenge (24 inch sub sandwich in 30 minutes) Joseph gave up after a few bites.  He gets so nervous that he makes himself sick.


Here we are about to start.  Joseph had already started to psyche himself out, and he was the one who set the bar for two dozen.  So we started and after one bite Joseph said, "Uh oh, this is bad".  Literally Kyle and I couldn't even take a bite of our donuts because we were laughing so hard.  I started to cry from laughter.  Joseph had eaten like three by the time I took my first bite.  Then Kyle and I ate a dozen and Joseph had only eaten two and a half more.  





In the end, I ate 12, Kyle ate 13, and Joseph ate 5.5


I definitely underestimated how hard it would be to eat hot donuts.  After about 8, I hit a mental wall.  They started to taste gross, and by the end they just seemed to taste like the oil they were fried in.  The good news was that I had a dozen donuts to take home for Cory and I to eat for breakfast the next morning.  And although I felt sick for the rest of the night, I am glad I now have that funny memory of Joseph and Kyle downing donuts at our local Krispy Kreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment