Friday, November 11, 2016

Calvin Walker Joins the Family

There has been so much anticipation leading up to the birth of this little guy. For whatever reason I had psyched myself out that he would be coming early, and was ready for him to make his debut at 37 weeks.  I felt as though so many people we knew and around us were having their babies early and I was so desperately wanting that to happen to us.  Of course, as we would eventually find out...it didn't!

I was 5 days over due and had a scheduled an induction for the Friday after his due date.  Sean and I went up to the hospital on Thursday night to start the process of getting ready for the induction.  I really wanted him to come on his own and was so upset thinking I would have to be induced.  But for some reason when we got the call from the hospital on Thursday night that I could come in I was so peaceful and excited.  We were all so ready to meet him!

Thursday night was just a little prep in the hospital before the induction so I just tried to sleep and see if any contractions would start on their own.  By the morning when we headed to the delivery room to get started I had begun contractions on my own but they were so weak and 10 minutes apart, so things were moving along, just slowly.

After the induction started things moved so fast.  I was told I could get my epidural whenever I was ready but it would be better to do it earlier rather than later...obviously.  I told Sean I wanted to wait a bit because I wanted to feel some of the contractions and really remember what it was like to be in labor...he thought I was crazy.

After feeling about 3 strong and long contractions I was done, but the anesthesiologist was next door and by the time he came in to help me I was struggling.  I think I had to go through like 10 extra contractions than I had wanted to.  Majorly impressed with women who give birth with no medication, it is some intense stuff.  I was not ready for it, even after having gone through delivery before.

Before my nurse and Doctor could get back from a quick lunch break it was time to have this baby!  Everything was so calm and peaceful which was majorly different from when Emmy was born.  The room was quiet, and there were only 4 of us in the room and I delivered Calvin so quickly.  It was crazy how fast it all went and how peaceful it all was.  Hearing those baby cries was the most wonderful sound in the world, and holding that sweet boy was so rewarding and just a huge release after so much anticipation.


As you can tell from the picture it was one of the happiest and sweetest moments.  I was so emotional and relieved he was big, strong, and healthy.


First picture with Dad after getting all swaddled up.  It was so nice to have so much time with him especially after our experience of having Emmy whisked away to the NICU so fast. 


Welcome to the world Calvin Walker Gilmore!


After they got me and Calvin and the room all cleaned up Emmy was able to come in and meet Calvin for the first time.  It was a moment I will never forget and it really did seem as though time stopped so our little family could soak up all the sweetness.  To watch the video of her meeting Calvin, follow the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqZ15QtCbUQ&t=21s


Sean with his two babies.  It really is true what they say about your heart growing to love that little person more than you thought you could.


We had so many sweet moments with the four of us.  I am so glad my mom could be there to take care of Emmy and bring her back and forth to the hospital to see us morning and evening.  It was always my favorite part of the day when she would arrive.


Or course we had to have some good old family fun.  Emmy was a huge baby in the bassinet for Calvin.  Hard to believe they grow so fast.


After asking for hours I finally let Sean hold Calvin...haha


Love helping Emmy hold her baby brother.  She was so sweet and curious about him and loved getting to know him.  She was always very soft with him and wanted to unwrap him so she could see his hands, feet, legs and body. 


Sean took Emmy on a walk with Calvin.  Emmy liked walking the halls and exploring outside of the room.  She was very patient and obedient for a 2 year old in a hospital.  She of course wanted to help push him.


Calvin during his hearing test.  He passed!  Yay!


Calvin all dressed and ready to head home with his big sister Emmy.  He was such a tiny little thing laying next to her. So happy that they will have each other throughout life.  Emmy is a pro big sister so far.  Calvin is one lucky boy to have her.

No comments:

Post a Comment