Friday, July 18, 2014

The Bearded One

There comes a time in a man's life when he needs to know what he looks like with a beard.  I will admit that for the past years I have looked on in envy as my closest friends have let their facial hair grow out.  They all have looked manly, but I have kept the baby-face.  I longed for the chance to feel confidence ooze out of me. Working at the MTC required me to shave every day, but since leaving last month, I have finally had a chance to prove my manhood.  Before we get to that, though, here is a tribute to those who have gone before me.

Joseph Naylor.  Great guy without a beard.  With a beard?  'Merica Man! Defender of freedom.


Shane Cason.  (And his lovely wife Jenna, appropriately not bearded) Funny/nice guy without a beard.  With a beard?  Dashing Southern Gentleman.


Brett and Kyle Anderson.  Adorable twin brothers without beards.  With beards?  Fierce Pirate Lords.


Zachary Crawford Snow Smith.  Strong silent type without beard.  With a beard? Kind of creepy... Sorry Zach, I couldn't find any other pictures of you with a single hair on your face.  


Even my dad got in on No Shave November a few years ago.  That look is the look of a man who knows who he is, who knows what life is all about and oozes manliness.


So, with so many inspirational figures in my life, I started to grow a beard.  Below is photo documentation.  Before you say anything, Mom, I know that the pictures aren't always flattering, and that you don't want to see up my nose, but there is a greater purpose at work here.  I have already come to terms with posting these somewhat awkward selfies.

This is after one week of not shaving.  Doubt has started to creep in that I may not be capable of reaching my goal.


This is after 2.5 weeks.  My Irish/English/Welsh heritage is making itself known.  There is a lot of hair, but it is either white blond or red, making it harder to distinguish from a distance.  With my eyes I am trying to will the hairs to grow longer and faster.


This is 3 weeks.  The red darkened a bit.  Frustration lingers as I look at pictures and realize the blond hair makes it look like there isn't much hair in certain spots.


One month.  I made it one month.  I am tempted to go longer, but with job interviews looming, and a wife who isn't as quick to snuggle, I decide I did what I set out to do.  I now know what I look like with facial hair.


I will miss walking through restaurants and getting slight nods from the other men with beards.  I will miss feeling like an Irish warlord when whatever I am drinking trickles down the hairs.  I will miss fitting in with every other man in Tennessee.


And so, almost a month to the day since my last shave, I pulled out the razor.  With each stroke I questioned my decision, but whats done is done.  I already feel like something is missing, and it surprises me when I feel skin on my face instead of hair.  Here is an "after" photo. 


Cory's first reaction was, "You look so skinny! And young!"  Basically the opposite of "Strong and manly".  Maybe the beard will make another appearance in November!

1 comment:

  1. I love beards, I would probably cry if your uncle shaved off his, in fact though I belly-ached about the length of his last November, by the end of the month I was sorry to see him trim it back to a goatee. I do however believe that it's good you tried it out for yourself, but always go with what the wife likes, it makes life much easier.

    ReplyDelete