Tuesday, June 10, 2014

All Good Things...

...must come to an end.

I have been anticipating this post for a very long time.  The last milestone as an MTC teacher: leaving.  I finished teaching my last district of missionaries, and had my exit interview.  I no longer work at the Missionary Training Center.

L to R: Sister Rasmussen, Sister Tanner, Sister Vincent, Sister Redford, Me, Elder Moss, Elder Richan

For a long time I felt pressure that I would have to summarize my experience once I was done.  I can't possibly remember, let alone recount, every detail of my time at the MTC.  So summarizing it would be convenient, but I don't think it is possible.  It is difficult when people ask me things like, "Oh, how was it working there?" or "Did you like it?"  What do you say?  "Yep.  Loved it."  Long story short: it is hard to describe the last three and a half years, and this post isn't going to be a summary of my experience.

It was definitely bittersweet for the last two weeks as I taught my last group.  I totally felt like I was on my A game, like an aging athlete that gives one final great performance.  That thought is actually the opposite of what the MTC is trying to accomplish, namely that the experience is for the missionaries, not to stroke the ego of a teacher on his way out the door.  Nevertheless, I felt like I was having some great results in the classroom.  It helped me appreciate in the moment how great my time has been there, and how much I have grown and changed as a result of the experience.  Also, the joke, "What are they going to do? Fire me?" never got old.  I said it at least twice a day.

As the days came and went, I couldn't help but think, "This is the last time I will ever teach this." or "This is the last time I will do this activity in the classroom."  Then, as we said our goodbyes on our last day, I half-joked that "I am not just saying goodbye to you, but to all missionaries I have ever taught."  For those interested, I didn't cry.  I had to be strong for everyone else.

The greatest take-away from my time at the MTC will be the many relationships I have come to cherish.  I taught 248 missionaries who served or are currently serving in 14 different countries.  Many have returned home, and some keep in touch through Facebook and other means.  The vast majority are still in the field.  I also developed close relationships with my fellow teachers.  It was really great to work with such high caliber people.  Lastly, I can't forget my boss, Rand "The Man" Erickson.  We had a good run together in the Spanish area, as well as the English area--working together for a solid three and a half years.  He taught me a lot through his example, and during our many discussions together.  Thanks Rand.

I am not sure when it will hit me that I am not going to be walking back through those gates anytime soon.  For now, I think back on the many happy memories during my time there.  The MTC is a special place where a sacred work is progressing, and it will always hold a sacred place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment