Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cory's Culture Shock

Jake and Anna forced Cory and me to go get tacos with them.  They get really clingy sometimes.  Anyway, we went, and it was awesome.  They introduced us to this little place run by multiple families in South Provo.  Walking in to their makeshift restaurant immediately brought memories of Argentina flooding back to me.  Everyone spoke Spanish, and was making their food on little propane stoves.  The sounds and smells were all too familiar to me.  The nostalgia was sweeping over me in waves, and I felt the intense need for Cory to understand that this atmosphere was "home" to me for two years.  It was nice to walk in and realize how much I missed it, and still love it.  There is something happy and pleasant tangible in the air despite a lack of the material.


The tacos were delicious, and it was fun to see Cory's reaction to the atmosphere.  She totally had culture shock.  She kept mentioning how crazy she thought the place was; not crazy in a bad way, just so different from anything she had experienced before.  This culminated with me looking over and realizing she was taking a video of the place.  

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm ... I bet the food was yummy, but I'd be hard pressed to get past the plastic sheeting for walls, LOL.

    ReplyDelete