Monday, November 25, 2013

How 'Bout Them Apples?

With the Thanksgiving holiday on the way, and us heading to Idaho to spend it with Cory's family, I decided to contribute something to the dinner.  In my family, home-made applesauce is a staple food during the holidays.  My grandma Sherry and my mom always made it, and it became my favorite food at holiday dinners.  They even started making it for my birthday.  So, with all that nostalgic memory bursting from my heart, I made the decision to follow in the footsteps of  those special women.


When I told Cory what I was thinking of doing, she supported me 100%.  Also, Cory understands that I am challenged in the kitchen.  Those two things led to her suggestion of heading to Bed, Bath, & Beyond to obtain an apple peeler.  The thing looked like a medieval torture device, which intrigued me.  With Cory gone at work, I started to peel.  It actually was very fast and efficient.  I think it literally saved me hours of hard labor.


With all the apples peeled I started to cook them on the stove.  At this point my anxiety levels were through the roof.  In most arenas in life, I am very calm.  In the kitchen, I am not.  I think I may be too detail oriented.  When my mom was giving me the recipe over the phone she kept saying things like, " a splash of..." or "a generous amount of..."  Those terms mean nothing to me.  How much is a splash?  Anyway, at every step I am paranoid that I have ruined the whole thing.  (Keep in mind that I literally ask Cory how long to microwave a cold piece of pizza.  Seriously.  I am incapable of punching in numbers until she tells me how long.)  In the end, though, I think it turned out alright.  Mine was definitely chunkier than my mother's version, though, and it was a little more tart.  I don't think I splashed it enough.


The finished product!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, homemade applesauce is always a treat. Apple picking season in CT. would get us thinking about it and usually before long we were making some of our own at home. The last time I made some instead of cooking my apples down in water I used fresh pressed apple cider, wow was it delicious. I have a friend that melts cinnamon red hot candies in to hers and it not only turns a gorgeous pink color, but the candies dispense tons of flavor to the apples. Looks like your's turned out great, and remember practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete