Tuesday, December 18, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas

Something that I did not know about Cory before we got married, or a least something I didn't appreciate like I should have, is just how crafty she really is.  She can make crafts and homemade projects with the best of them.  What I love most about that quality in her is that she isn't in your face about it either.  She has a quiet confidence when it comes to her ideas, and they always turn out great.  I usually can't visualize what she is thinking, which sometimes comes across as skepticism, but in the end I am always enlightened.

Case Study #1
The Stockings Hung on the Bookcase With Care


In my family almost immediately after Thanksgiving we start putting up Christmas stuff.  So this year after Thanksgiving we started talking about what we wanted to do in terms of a tree, and everything else.  The topic of stockings came up, and Cory mentioned that she wanted to make our stockings.  She started to explain to me that we needed to go to DI and buy old sweaters that she would cut up and sew together so that when we had kids she could make more that looked the same.  I obviously supported her, but in my mind I was thinking, "Um...there is this thing called division of labor...people have done all of that for us and put it on a shelf at Walmart."  The joke was on me!  We went to DI and we got some old sweaters, and the next thing I know we have some legitimate authentic looking stockings hanging up on our bookcase.  I love them, and we share our initials with Santa Claus.

Case Study #2
On the First Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me...


Cory surprised me with an early present this year, or should I say twelve of them?  She continued her crafty ways in the shadows, unbeknownst to me, and hung twelve decorated cards for me as a countdown for Christmas.  Each day I get to flip over another card and a sweet note, or it tells me what we are going to do that day together.  So far I have claimed things like back rubs, a drive around town looking at Christmas lights, and tonight is an ice-skating excursion to Temple Square.  

There are a few other case studies, but I don't have pictures of them yet.  She made a Christmas sock wreath, and we also have a red chalkboard countdown to Christmas.  Anyway, we also scored a $20 tree at Walmart, and I think it is a pretty good size for only $20.  It has been up since the week after Thanksgiving, but we were waiting for all of our ornaments to finally post a picture.


And here are some of our ornaments up close so that our parents can see that our childhoods are still represented on this new tree.

                  


Buzz also surprised us with a Nativity scene that is super nice.  We weren't quite sure where the giant angel went in the scene, but everything turned out perfectly.


So marriage is all about starting a new life together, and adopting one another's traditions, or creating new ones.  I don't think I have ever really tasted eggnog.  I think my dad likes it, but the point is that there was never a heavy eggnog presence in my house around the holidays.  Cory's house was the opposite.  Eggnog was flowing freely after Thanksgiving for her.  So I have tried some eggnog this year.  It tastes good, but for some reason I don't like it.  Does that make sense?  Probably not.  For some reason I expect it to be salty and...egg...y, but it isn't.   And even though I know it isn't, I still expect it, and thus don't want to drink it, despite what picture evidence may show.  I think this should have been our Christmas card picture...


MERRY CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment