Sunday, August 26, 2012

"We both think we're really funny"

Sean and I spoke in church on Sunday, and all in all it was super successful.

They called us on Thursday evening, and Sean and I both whined and complained much more than necessary about them calling on such late notice.  We are kind of high maintenance.  But let's be honest, neither of us wrote our talk until Saturday, or at least one of us waited til Saturday and the other waited until Sunday morning.

The talks were wonderful, spiritual, thoughtful and everything else you would expect.  Well, at least Sean's was and mine was ya know...good, too!  Knowing myself and also knowing Sean we both were planning what jokes we could say, how to get the crowd laughing to earn their attention and what to say to introduce ourselves.  It's like this new thing you get to do when you get married, you get to introduce yourselves as husband and wife and tell the story of how you met and all that other super mushy and fun stuff.

I handed the introduction over to Sean, because I knew he would do an awesome job, and I have learned to accept that he is funnier than me.

I told some great jokes to break the ice about how Sean and I are so different, but one thing we have in common is that "we both think we are really funny."  Also said something about letting him introduce us so he could have some good material for jokes, and that when we teach Sunday school I told him he can't be funny because in Sunday School I wanted to be the funny one and he could be the looks.  Then something else about being sorry for not noticing him at the Stake ice skating activity...that was mostly to set him up for some awesome jokes he had prepped.  All in all I got tons of laughs and it really helped to ease my nerves and feel confident before I gave my talk.

Then it was Sean's turn and he said some joke about ice skating like Apolo Anton Ohno to try and impress me, and then told the story about when I fell asleep on the couch and told him I loved him in his sleep.  He said it was his way of knowing that he was in control of the relationship, I confessed my love first.  That story is always good, it will never get old and the people love it!!

My mom and Anna were there and I think that helped me to not be as nervous as well.

Now we can check that off the list of things to do and not worry about it for at least another 2 years.

Ok, so it's Sean here, and I would just like to clarify that although I put my talk down on paper Sunday morning, I was actually writing it in my head from the moment we were given the assignment...and Cory and I are equally funny.  My success is her success.  Anyway, I am just adding a few blurbs about the rest of the day we had that Sunday.  We went home and Cory and Buzz (Cory's mom) started cooking a delicious dinner, and I snapped some pictures.

Here is Cory in her pineapple apron we got her on our honeymoon in Hawaii.

1 comment:

  1. okaaaay so cute. i bet you guys had your ward just rolling on the floor. "i've learned to accept he's funnier than me." i wish i could have heard it!

    ReplyDelete