Sunday, December 29, 2013

I'll Be Home For Christmas

Merry Christmas!!!!  I hope everybody enjoyed the day, and that Santa showed up to your houses.  Cory and I just got back from my parent's house in Wyoming, where we spent the Christmas holiday.  It was a fun-filled four days with the family.  How is that for alliteration?  There were a lot of memories made, so let's get started with this post!  One of our first festive activities was decorating some giant gingerbread men.  Cory supervised as I concentrated on the icing.


Lacey and Rhiannon each made their own as well.  Rhiannon made sure to let us know numerous times that she was making a gingerbread girl, not a man.  Duly noted.


Not long after their creation, we consumed our men and girl.  It was actually more fun to make them than to eat them.  Successful first Christmas activity!!! 


On Monday we spent the morning at home, and my mom made my Grandma Wilma's tacos for dinner.  Cory even got in there and helped her out.  


After filling ourselves with tacos, we all headed to Cody to catch a movie.  We saw "Saving Mr. Banks" about Walt Disney and P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins, and their relationship as the Disney movie Mary Poppins was created.  It was a good movie.  It wasn't quite as good as I thought it was going to be, especially with all the hype surrounding it, but I recommend it for people to go see.  Here we all are at Big Horn Cinemas.


The next day was Christmas Eve!  Chris, Lacey, and the kids were going to spend Christmas day with the Huhnkes, so we opened their presents a day early.  It was fun to see the kids opening up their presents.


Cory was looking very festive in her sweater.  


Before we actually got to present opening we played an intense round of Christmas charades.  Mom went all out in her Tiny Tim impression, and Dad was able to portray, "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!" in one smooth motion.  We have some legitimate acting talent in this family.


Ebin nailed the choir boy pose.  After opening presents, we headed to Wyoming's Rib & Chop House for some dinner.  Dad literally ate reindeer.  Poor Rudolph!


 We have been going to Rib & Chop on Christmas Eve for years now, and we have taken a picture on the street in front for just as long.  Here we are very full.  I was ready to just hit the hay for the night.  The sooner you go to sleep the sooner Santa comes, you know.


 We did not go to sleep, though.  How could we when we still had to perform our own version of the Nativity?  We haven't actually done this since I was a little kid, but its never too late to rekindle old traditions.  I was Joseph, and even though nobody actually had speaking parts, I felt like I made the role my own.  Cory was Mary, and a beautiful one at that.  Rhiannon was an angel/star of Bethlehem.  Lacey and Ebin were the wise men, and Chris was a shepherd, complete with miniature candy cane staff.  Also, my teddy bear from my childhood was the baby Jesus.


After the Nativity, the Huhnkes headed out, and Cory and I participated in that oldest of Christmas traditions: opening pajamas on Christmas Eve.


Santa came to our house!!!  Yes, even on my 25th Christmas, it is still fun and exciting to come out on Christmas morning.  Our new pajamas were warm, Piggy Pudding breakfast casserole was overflowing, and bed head was abundant as we gathered in the living room to open presents.


We had a great Christmas thanks to loving family members.  Here are a few pictures from the ensuing gift giving.


Growing up I hated getting clothes, now I don't mind it as much.


I also got some great books.  Here I am with Jeffrey R. Holland's book For Times of Trouble.  I can't wait to read what insights he has to share about the Psalms.


Cory got a nice purse, and she is looking good with it over her shoulder!


New ties!!!


I also gave Cory an initial necklace with the letter 'S' on it.  She said she wanted it, for the record.  I didn't spontaneously decide she needed to always be wearing my initial. 


Such a great Christmas, and it wasn't over yet!  We still had Christmas dinner, and under close supervision, I got my chef on!  Give me some oven mitts and I can do anything.


It was a very nice way to conclude our holiday trip.  Everything was delicious, and at my dad's request, Cory even made her Aunt Sue's green beans.  


It was a fantastic trip for Christmas.  There was entirely too much food, especially sweets, but we made a lot of great memories as a family, which is what it is all about.  Here are some videos from the trip.  Lacey insisted that we record Dad's reaction to his surprise gift from Mom.  So here he is on Christmas morning opening it up.


I got a new harmonica in my stocking, and a beginner's book so I can attempt to teach myself how to play it.  Here I am in a very amateur performance of Jingle Bells.  Enjoy!  Notice my mother's unconditional support at the end of my playing.


Merry Christmas, everybody!  We are looking forward to 2014!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks like you all had a wonderful Christmas holiday. How fun to have so many family traditions, we've never done that in my family, maybe someday we'll start some of our own when we have grand children. Patrick and I enjoyed our first Christmas as well, it was strange for me to be in sunny southern California and not shoveling out the snow in CT.

    ReplyDelete