Monday, September 16, 2013

Concealed Handgun Class

My mom planned a girls weekend for Sarah, Anna, and I to come up and spend some time together.  I had really been looking forward to time with them and to time off work.

Anna and I drove up together and stopped at a smelly and fly infested gas station that we both quickly agreed we would not stop at on the way back.  We got in late Friday night, but stayed up chatting and catching up.

The big activity planned was for all of us to take a concealed handgun class together and learn about gun safety and self defense. We were up early on Saturday morning and headed out to a shooting range where they had what were called pistol pits where we were set up to take our gun class.

I wasn't nervous at all until it was time to actually shoot.  The brass shot out of the gun and flew right at my face.  I literally thought the gun had malfunctioned and I had just shot myself in the face.  After a minor freak out I looked around and no one else seemed to be having the same problem.  The whole day I had brass flying at me after every shot and a couple times when it would hit my chest and fall into my shirt and burn me.  It was not pleasurable and I had small burns on my chest later that night.  I was having a hard time enjoying myself, but was a good shot.  Sarah, Anna, and my mom were having a great time and feeling empowered.  I was about ready to give up.  It wasn't until after the 4th piece off brass burned me inside my shirt that the instructor gave me a different gun.  I shot it and...nothing.  He said that the new gun was set up so the brass shot out to the side more dramatically than the one previously.  It pretty much changed the rest of the day for me.

We all had tons of fun and it was fun to all learn together and cheer each other on during drills.  We are pretty much ready to fight anyone who comes at us now, except that Sarah is the only one that actually has her own gun.

I don't see myself ever wanting to buy a gun, it was a little bit scary sometimes to think that I could actually kill someone with what was in my hands.  I don't know if I want that type of power.

Here we are with all our gear, cheesing it for the camera!



No comments:

Post a Comment