Thursday, March 17, 2016

Chicago Conference

Cory and I were in Dallas last weekend for my Spring Break looking for apartments, and this week I continue my travelling tour in the Windy City.  I attended the ACHE Congress on Healthcare Leadership in Chicago with about 10 other students in my program.  It not only was a great opportunity to network and learn about the industry of my future career, but it was also my first time to Chicago, which means I went full tourist on everybody.  We flew in on St. Patrick's Day, and during the week the river stayed green from when they dyed it.


I went to the Bean 3 or 4 times during my 5 days in the city.  I pretty much spent from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the conference, going to sessions, attending panels, etc.  I also was a program assistant, which is basically like an usher for certain sessions.  I signed up to work as a program assistant because my registration was reimbursed that way.  It was a great way to meet other students from around the country.  After 4 PM, though, I pretty much could explore the city.


I mean, it is pretty trippy when you walk underneath.


On the first night of the conference, there was an LDS reception.  The current ACHE Chairman, Ed Lamb, is LDS, so he invited all LDS attendees to his suite for a reception.  It was really cool to meet so many other members of the Church that also work in healthcare.  I met a lot of really successful people there.  Another night I actually got the chance to head out with Landon and Dr. Carlton (my academic adviser) and we went and did some work at the Chicago Temple.  It was a great way to gain some perspective during the whirlwind of the conference.


Before I left, Cory was telling me all about some deep dish pizza places I could try.  I have never had deep dish Chicago style, so I knew I had to try some.  Right next to the Hyatt Regency, where the conference was being held, was a Giordano's, so Parker, Landon, and I headed over between sessions for some lunch.  It was glorious.  I absolutely loved it.


On the last day of the trip, I attended my last session in the morning, and then spent my last day in the city.  We met up with a group of girls from the UAB MHA program.  I met a few of them at the case competition last month.  One was from Chicago, so she showed us some cool places.  She took us to the Hancock building, which has amazing views from the top deck.  


Yes, these are real photos from my phone!


We stopped by the bean for my third and final time, before heading off to the airport.


Here I am with Landon, Deepen, and David.  We were the last to fly out from the Memphis program.  I was glad to get back home to Cory.  Many times during my trip I though about how fun it would be to have her with me.  I had fun with the guys, but I have waaaaay more fun with Cory.  It was another realization of why I married her.  Exploring and experiencing new things with her is better than alone or with others.  Maybe if I come consistently to the conference every year, Cory could come with me and it could be an annual retreat for us.  That would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment